Friday, April 18, 2008

Anne of Cleves, Jane Seymour and Kathryn Howard

The Wives of Henry VIII collection is coming along quite nicely. I'm not finished dressing the dolls yet, but I thought I'd post a few photos as they are.
The Queen of Clubs (Betty Ann sculpt) is dedicated as Henry's "dear sister," Anne of Cleves, also known as his fourth wife. I think her hair makes her look German, even though it's not "yellow," as Henry described. I will need to swap her fancy gown for a more modest and plainer gown, plus she (and my other dolls) need hoods to cover their hair. I was so surprised at how pretty this doll is. I thought she was pretty on the Tonner website, but she is just really elegant looking. She is classic!
Cinderella Masquerade is a Doll Market purchase. She is young-looking enough to be Henry's fifth wife (and second one he beheaded for adultery), Kathryn Howard. She was very young when she became queen, about 17 or 18. She probably was a brunette--but we don't really know. However, Henry did have a taste for redheads (both Catherine of Aragon and Katherine Parr had red or auburn hair).
My blonde Jane doll is Jane Seymour, Henry's "one true wife" (third) wife and mother of his only son, Edward. I think I'll take her hair down at some point. She also needs a gown; but for now, she is wearing her peignoir, as she received company after the birth of her son. She died about a week after her son's birth--some say of neglect.
I still need Catherine of Aragon, Henry's first wife. I bought an Angelina Ready-to-Wear doll that would be great for Katherine, but I don't like her. I'm not sure if it's her makeup or what, but I just am not happy with her. I was thinking that the red haired Emme doll would make a better Catherine of Aragon, but I don't actually own her yet! I saw she's on sale at the Doll Market. Maybe I could have her wear one of Hortencia's gowns.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Sorry for that deleted post, I'm a newcomer here...
    I hope you don't mind me reading your blog... It's so interesting that I've just registered here to comment some of your posts :)
    What an interesting idea to collect all the wifes of Henry VIII. I think, all the dolls you've chosen are perfect for their roles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments!
    My Anne Boleyn is currently Ultra Basic Tyler (Raven). I have a picture online, if the link will work, if you click on my name.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome your thoughtful, on-topic, and relevant comments. We'd love to start a discussion here.

Please note that links, off-topic, and irrelevant comments won't be published.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...